Date Published: 21/05/2020
With more onward disposal sites for waste collected at the HWRC starting to open and the success of the new system at the Barkers Lane site to facilitate social distancing, we are now able to allow more types of waste to be disposed of.
From Thursday 21 May, the following can be disposed of at the tip:
- Hardcore and rubble - up to 3 items including broken ceramic tiles, bricks, ceramic sanitary ware e.g. sinks/toilets. Soil will not be accepted.
- Plasterboard - up to 3 sheets
This is for household waste only. Commercial waste is not being accepted at this time. This is in addition to the material already being accepted at the HWRC below:
- general rubbish (e.g. black lidded bin types of waste)
- small items of furniture
- garden waste (e.g green lidded bin types of green waste)
- recycling (e.g. orange lidded bin types of recycling)
- small electrical appliances (e.g. microwaves, kettles, and toasters)
Skips for large pieces of cardboard have also been added, to make it easier for these to be recycled. Please make sure any polystyrene or other packaging is completely removed before recycling cardboard items.
The HWRC is still operating under a mandatory booking system and you will be asked what you are disposing of when you call for a slot so that you can be directed to the right area on site.
To book a slot please call 01234 718013. You will be able to book a slot up to 14 days in advance (subject to availability) and the site will be open between 9am and 5pm, 7 days a week.
For more information about visiting the site or how to book a slot, please visit www.bedford.gov.uk/hwrc or call 01234 718013.